Tuesday, January 17, 2012

2011 in Review

After a year and one half as a handyman, I must say that I really enjoy what I do. I love the freedom, I love the customer interaction, and I love to fix things, build things and make things better. I make a decent living (according to my needs and desired standard of living), and I often have an valid reason to purchase the cool new tools that keep popping up on the market. I realize that many would not find the work I do satisfying and enjoyable, but for me, I can't think of a better way to earn a living.


According to my wife's accounting, it looks like we will be paying taxes on approximately $36,000 for 2011. Actual labor income was between $45,000 and $50,000, but once expenses are deducted (mileage, tool purchases, cell phone, advertising and other business related necessities) $36,000 is what we show for profit.


I realize that $36,000 is not a considered a great income in this world, but it more that covers my families needs and it is certainly a lot more that I could ever hope to make by working for any employer in our area. Unless you have a very useful degree and skill, you will be a very lucky person if you can find anything paying over $9.00 per hour in this part of Oklahoma. So when that is considered, I feel I am quite blessed to earn what I did this past year.


In addition to my actual taxable earnings, there are a whole lot of perks that go with this line of work that make it worth much more that the $36,000 cash income. For instance, I started out the year fairly slow, meaning that for most of January, I didn't have to get out in the cold very often, but instead was able to stay home and take it easy with the family. Just the same, because I recently needed a large amount of time to finish a personal project on the house we are living in, I simply took my ad out of the paper which caused business to slow enough to give me that needed time. To me, this ability to work in time off, is a very valuable perk (To be honest and fair I need to say that it can be really hard to work in time off during the busy months.)


Other perks of this line of work include:


1. My family can come to work with me when I need their help.
2. I can take phone calls from my family at virtually all times.
2. My jobs change on a daily (or at least weekly) basis.
3. Most jobs provide me the satisfaction of visual and tangible results at the end.
4. I can works as long or as short of day as I like (usually long during summer months and short during winter months).
5. I get to purchase and use a whole lot of neat tools, and then get to deduct the purchase from my taxes.


There are other perks I could probably list, but this is enough for now to illustrate the point that this job is much more valuable than the $36,000 in cash income.


Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of days that I get tire and weary of my work (this is usually when I am foolishly trying to work too many long days in a row). But fortunately, those days are few and far between. Most days on the job, I find myself filled with joy and thankfulness to the creator of the universe for allowing me to earn my living in this way.


Below are some pictures and brief descriptions from some of my various projects in 2011.


Floor Repair -Payless Shoes - Stillwater
Customer Cost - $300 ($280 Labor/$20 Materials)

Damage Before Repair


Though it was only four tiles that needed replaced, I estimated the job at eight hours labor. I had never messed with commercial tile (or any tile for that matter) so I didn't really know what I was in for. I figured that eight hours would be more time than needed, but estimated eight hours just to be safe. Turns out that it took me right at eight hours for the job. Removing the old tiles and glue was not an easy task. In addition, I had to chip away at some raised portion of concrete that was causing the damage. Then, I had to apply a skim coat (basically a new layer of floor to attach the new tiles to) and let it dry (couple of hours). Next I had to apply the glue and let it dry to touch (30 minutes to 1 hour). Finally I laid the new tiles and cleaned up. Before I knew it, a full day was used.


Tiles Chipped Away
(Note: removing commercial tile and glue is not fun or easy)

Skim Coat Applied

Glue Applied



New Tiles in Place



Water Damage Repair
Christoper and Banks - Stillwater OK
Customer Cost - $638 ($575 Labor/$63 Materials)


Damage Before Repair




A water pipe broke overhead causing water to leak down through the restroom ceiling. The water took the path of least resistance and mainly passed through the joint tape. The damage looked rough, but the repair was simply a matter of removing damaged joint tape and loose paint and then applying new joint tape and joint compound. I then finished the job by repainting the entire restroom. I estimated for two day labor, and the estimate proved right on the mark.


After Repair




Pillar Repair
Customer Cost $280-$300 (can't remember exactly)

Pillar Before Repair

The footing supporting this pillar sunk several inches in the ground.  This caused the pillar to lose it's supporting ability.  This also caused the pillar to come loose and fall down.  In addition to this, the base of the existing pillar had about an inch of wood rot.

Sunken Pillar

 To repair, I simply built a form around the sunken footing and poured more concrete in order to raise the footing a few inches higher than its original height.  Next, I cut off the rotted portion of the pillar.  Then, I jacked the over hang it was supporting up just a little and set the post in place.  I then secured the pillar to the overhand and footing.  I finished the project by installing some decorative trim around the bottom.

The job was fairly straight forward and simple, but it still cost the customer nearly $300 because the job required a return trip (concrete had to set up before installing pillar).

 Finished Pillar

Arbor Construction
Customer Cost - $675 ($420 Labor/$245 Materials)

Fortunately for me, this customer did not ask for an estimate.  She knew my rates and just ask me to build something similar to a drawing she gave me.  I would have underestimated this job.  In my head, I figured it wouldn't take more than eight hours, but by time it was complete I had over one and one half days invested.  

Materials for this project were not cheap.  Due to the look my customer desired, I recommend that she use cedar.  Unfortunately, cedar currently cost 2.5 - 3 times as much as regular treated lumber.

Arbor Under Construction

Arbor Complete


Japanese Style Fence
Customer Cost - $780 ($580 Labor/$200 Material)

One of my regular customers apparently has more confidence in me that I have in myself.  This became evident when she handed me a drawing she made of a fence she wanted built.  She didn't ask me if I thought I "could" do it, she simply said that she wanted it done.  The straight parts of the job didn't concern me, I knew I could handle that, but the angle part I was a little concerned about (actually it was a compound angle).  Though my process was probably not the same that Tom Silva (probably the greatest and most knowledgeable  carpenter in the country who is featured on This Old House) would have used, the end result was acceptable and pleasing to the customer (which is all that really matters).

 Completed Fence





Shed Residing
Customer Cost $2500 ($1650 Labor/ $850 Material)

The jobs I enjoy most are jobs that provide drastic before and after results.  The following is one such job.  The couple I am working for had a previous "handyman" that apparently was either a real moron or simply a real loser who took complete advantage of his customers inability to adequately inspect his work upon completion. This joker built a storage shed (the framing is not "too" bad), and then sided it with OSB (the sheet board that is made up of many splintery fiber glued together.  

When OSB is used correctly, it serves it purpose well, but it is NEVER to be used for any application in which it will be directly exposed to the ellements.  If you are building just a temporay (as in something that will last less then a yeart) shelter and need to get by cheap, then that's different.  But if you are building something you want to last for several years, do not use OSB where it will be directly in contact with the elements.  I will deteriorate quickly.

Well, because of this guys con job (I am assuming he pocketed the extra money he should of used for a real siding product) I got called too reside the building. 

Building's Prior Condition



Build After Residing and Painting










 
I really went above and beyond what I was originally planning with this job.  I could have gotten by without installing the soffit and fascia, but I really wanted to trim the building up nice.  Once it's all said and done, I am glad I put in the extra work.









11 comments:

  1. Hi! I’m Jimmy Hernandez, the owner and labor of Northwest Denver Handyman. I was born and raised in this neighborhood, and I still live here in Potter Highlands.I charge $25 per hour and can help you with any project you're interested in. Give me a call at 303-957-6476, or book me right now from the button below. Thanks!

    Handyman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice handyman blog! I want to make a living as a handyman as well and my resume is at http://josephsresume.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent jobs! Check out my site sometime

    www.lavezzoconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire parents with a big heart to his job and dedication to his family. It's a decent living and it is more than a Handyman, a super hero that fixes any problem in the house. Thumbs up for you Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freelance Handyman is one of the best job for me. I like the way you wrote your article Sir and I supposed that every handyman must read this too!

    -Kendro
    Commercial builder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you. Please Visit:

    Handyman Issaquah
    Handyman Redmond

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's it like being a handy man in winter? Also when did decide to leave your full time job. I'm at the piont where it seems as if I had the extradays off my full time job I could be more profitable. Scares the wife though. Handymancgi@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's it like being a handy man in winter? Also when did decide to leave your full time job. I'm at the piont where it seems as if I had the extradays off my full time job I could be more profitable. Scares the wife though. Handymancgi@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

  9. تعد خدمات التنظيف المتعلقه بالمنزل بصفه عامه ان الامور الهامه حاليا لما لها من ترابط وثيق بالصحه والقضاء علي الامراض وخصيصا تنظيف الخزانات والتي تعد من الضروريات حيث يجب تنظيفها بصفه دوري
    تنظيف منازل بالخرج
    تنظيف خزانات بالخرج
    فان كنت عميلنا الكريم من الرياض او الخرج او جده فنحن نوفر لك افضل خدمات التنظيف العامه بمعدات حديثه وعماله مدربه
    تنظيف مجالس بالخرج

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this nice info expect some more in near future. Commercial Remodeling Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great information guys. I have been following your blog for sometime now and you always provide great information in your each post. Keep up the good work. cheers.

    handyman
    home repairs
    water heater

    ReplyDelete